Is your organization sustainable? According to whom? Does being on a list of the 100 most sustainability businesses such as Barrons, Corporate Knight, or Forbes mean a company is sustainable? How about being part of the FTSE4Good Index or the Dow Jones Sustainability Index? Just how is organizational sustainability assessed anyways?
The Assessing Organizational Sustainability course reviews the current landscape of sustainability assessment processes, tools, techniques, and ranking systems. The similarities and differences of the various types of assessments will be discussed along with when and how each is most appropriately used. The course will review some of the most commonly known organizational sustainability assessment tools including the Future Fit Business Benchmark and ISSP's S-CORE assessment tool. Learning outcomes include:
- Define key terms related to sustainability assessment and evaluation
- Explain difference between various types of assessment and when and how each type is most appropriate, including:
- Impact-driven and objective-led assessments
- Evaluative-focused and audit-focused assessments
- Assessment for decision-making versus rating/ranking assessments
- Identify the most commonly used sustainability assessment tools and
- Correctly identify the type of assessment each represents
- Explain the benefits and value to businesses as well as the challenges and limitations
- Select the one most appropriate to their organization’s situation.
Who should take this course?
- Those new to the field of sustainability looking for an introduction to this important topic
- Long-time sustainability professionals looking to refresh their knowledge and skills related to sustainability assessment tools and techniques.
Your online course experience, from pre-work to deliverable completion, is June 5 to July 3. The course is delivered online and via the Internet so you participate from your computer for both the live weekly webinars and for the 24/7 online 'classroom' experience.
Maureen Hart, ISSP-CSP, has over 25 years of sustainability consulting experience with a focus on sustainability assessment, indicators and metrics. A member of ISSP for over 10 years, Maureen served as ISSP’s Executive Director from 2014 to 2018.
This course meets online four times in June. Live webinars are 60-90 minutes on Wednesdays, June 5, 12, 19, and 26, at 8:00am PT-US. All live webinars are recorded and the recordings and slide decks are posted for those who are unable to attend live. Not in PT-US time? Check out your time zone here.
PRICES & CREDIT
- ISSP Member: $40
- ISSP Partner: $60*
- Non-Member: $70
Successful completion of all course requirements will earn a passing grade and an individualized Certificate of Completion, along with 2 Continuing Education Units for ISSP-SA and ISSP-CSP credential holders. Automatically add these CEU's to your ISSP Member Professional Development Journal by selecting your respective credential when registering.
* Current membership of the U.S. Green Building Coundil (USBGC), Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE); Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability (ACTS); Sustainability Tools for Assessing and Rating (STAR) Communities; the Urban Sustainability Directors Network (USDN); or the Association of Climate Change Officers (ACCO) - contact the respective organization for the promo code to receive this discounted rate.